In furtherance of the goal of increasing the number of openly lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons in the field of patent law, this scholarship awards $1000 to a well-qualified LGBT candidate interested in pursuing a career in patent law.
- Must be enrolled as a student for the 2015-2016 academic year at an ABA-accredited law school.
- Must be eligible to sit for the Patent Bar Exam (See Eligibility Requirements)
- Must be interested in pursuing a career in patent law (patent litigation or prosecution)
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong academic achievement throughout his/her academic career.
2013: Jonathan D. Cocks
2012: Nathaniel P. Chongsiriwatana
Applicants should submit their completed application between June 1 and July 31, 2015. The selection committee will notify the recipient of the scholarship by October 31, 2015.
To apply for the 2015 Jeremy D. Protas LGBT Patent Law Scholarship, candidates must fully complete the application and submit it along with the following materials:
- Resume, including description of science or engineering educational credentials;
- Complete undergraduate transcript (with GPA);
- Law school transcript;
- 500-word (or less) personal statement explaining why you wish to pursue a career in patent law, and how your background and/or life experiences would improve diversity in the field of intellectual property law
Submit the application and accompanying materials to:
U.S. Postal Service:
Jeremy D. Protas LGBT Patent Law Scholarship
c/o Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP
233 South Wacker Drive
6300 Willis Tower
Chicago, Illinois 60606
All Materials must be received by 5:00pm July 31, 2015.
Please email all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org