In furtherance of the goal of increasing the number of openly lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons in the field of patent law, this scholarship awards $1000 to a well-qualified LGBT candidate interested in pursuing a career in patent law.
- Must be enrolled as a student for the 2014-2015 academic year at an ABA-accredited law school.
- Must be eligible to sit for the Patent Bar Exam (See Eligibility Requirements)
- Must be interested in pursuing a career in patent law (patent litigation or prosecution)
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong academic achievement throughout his/her academic career.
2013: Jonathan D. Cocks
2012: Nathaniel P. Chongsiriwatana
Applicants should submit their completed application between June 1 and July 31, 2014. The selection committee will notify the recipient of the scholarship by October 31, 2014. Complete application materials are available here.
To apply for the 2014 Jeremy D. Protas LGBT Patent Law Scholarship, candidates must fully complete the application and submit it along with the following materials:
- Resume, including description of science or engineering educational credentials;
- Complete undergraduate transcript (with GPA);
- Law school transcript;
- 500-word (or less) personal statement explaining why you wish to pursue a career in patent law, and how your background and/or life experiences would improve diversity in the field of intellectual property law
Submit the application and accompanying materials to:
U.S. Postal Service:
Jeremy D. Protas LGBT Patent Law Scholarship
c/o Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP
233 South Wacker Drive
6300 Willis Tower
Chicago, Illinois 60606
All Materials must be received by 5:00pm July 31, 2014.
Please email all questions to email@example.com
Disclaimer: The Jeremy D. Protas LGBT Patent Law Scholarship is funded, administered, and awarded by, and in the sole discretion of, Jeremy D. Protas. With the exception of providing marketing support (e.g., this web page, press releases, etc.) Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP does not participate in any aspect of the Scholarship including, but not limited to, selecting award recipients, funding the award, or managing the Scholarship, unless otherwise explicitly stated. Mr. Protas and Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP disclaim any and all liability arising out of acts related to the Scholarship, including the acts of applying for and/or receiving the award and participating in the selection process. By applying for the Scholarship, the Recipient of the scholarship agrees to the use of his or her name in connection with the Scholarship.
Last updated: November 2, 2013